From the "Massage Therapists and Bodyworkers" professional organization:
Have your ever "fired" a client. What reason did you offer?
Not every therapist is the perfect match for a particular client's needs. Whenever we feel like no-one in our organization can properly meet a particular client's needs, we refer them to someone who can (the most common referrals having to do with cost, or requests for services that a different class of bodyworkers is best-suited to provide). We don't think of this as "firing" the client, more like directing them towards a better match for their needs. When put this way, clients are usually grateful (rather than resentful), which is ideal, tactically speaking.
- Pain and Massage: Is More Pain Really = More Gain?
- Which Massage Techniques Produce the Best Clinical Results?
- Soft Tissue Issues Experienced By Massage Therapists
- Best Business Practices for Gaining Clientele
- Improving Client-Therapist Matches
- What are the Biggest Issues Facing Massage Therapists in Your Area?